Sunday, February 13, 2005

Kinko's


Recently I've finished writing my thesis and I was looking for a bookbinder shop. 'Cause I could print out papers by my computer and printer at home, and just only needed to have them bound. So I went to the nearest Kinko's in my town.

Kinko's provides such services; copy and printing, binding, making original cards, envelope, letter head, poster, personal photo calendar, high-speed Internet access and computer usage, digital photo printing and enlargements, enterprise-level document solutions, and so on.

I thought this shop was made in Japan, because of the name! It sounds like Japanese, isn't it? But it was not true. I was surprised to get to know their history!

"In September 1970, Paul Orfalea, just out of college, borrowed enough money to open his first photocopy shop in Isla Vista, the campus community of the University of California at Santa Barbara. Instead of calling it "Paul's Copies," he called it "Kinko's" after the nickname given to him by his college buddies because of his curly, reddish hair."
-What!? The name of Kinko's comes from his curly hair!

"The first store was located in the corner of a building that also housed a taco stand (which later proved advantageous when Paul cut a hole in the connecting wall, allowing him to order lunch without leaving the store)."
-Hahaha, that's good idea! It seems he already knew how to succeed in business at that time.

"Now, 30 years later, Kinko's has expanded to over 1,100 branches in the United States, Canada, the Netherlands, Japan, South Korea, Australia, the United Arab Emirates, China and Great Britain."
-Wow its a long and surprising history! That's why we have Kinko's here now!

Now I'm very satisfied with my thesis book bound by Kinko's, as quick and in cheap! Thanks!

No comments: